Sunday, August 4, 2013

From the Tree to the Jar

When I bought my house several years ago I was thrilled to see three fig trees in the yard, they reminded me of my childhood. Sweet memories of a huge fig tree that grew beside my Granny's house and of the most delicious fig preserves she and Mom made from the fruit of that tree. Over the past several years I have wanted Mom to teach me how to can my figs but other things seem to always get in the way and canning always ended up on my "things I want to learn how to do but never seem to have the time to" list. 

As I watched my figs ripen on the trees, I decided that this was going to be the year that I was finally going to get those figs from the tree and into the jars. I set a date to go over to Mom's house Saturday morning and she took me through the canning process step by step. I think she was happy that one of her girls actually wanted to learn how to can. We had a wonderful time together as we always do (the Lord has truly blessed me with the best mother ever) and I came home with 12 jars of fig preserves. I can't tell you how satisfying it is to pick fruit from your own tree and end up with a pantry full of homemade preserves!











Of course me and my oldest son had to try some out when I got home and it was so yummy!

I did not do any junking this weekend but I did get a few things at a small estate sale last week and on Saturday when I dropped off several jars of the figs to my brother he had a present for me so I thought I would go ahead share.

Old Laundry Basket from my brother


 

Another old Lamp
Apothecary Bottles
Musical Flash Cards
Beautiful Angel 
Sweet Little Penguin Family made in Germany












I have to say it has been an amazing weekend. Hoping yours has been the same!

Sharing with:

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs Olson - Share Your Cup

7 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the canning process and the results! Cute finds and I love the little penguins!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your canning adventure! I've never done it either and always swear I will "one day" ~ I love the bottles you got ~ No matter the size, shape, color or condition bottles just always seem so charming to me :) Judi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not think I have ever tried a fig in any shame or form, that said high five to you for canning them

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made several batches of jam, but not fig. I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can remember eating figs from my Grandmother's fig tree as a little girl. I don't think I have had one since then. Lucky you! Love the treasures you've received. The bottles and lamp are wonderful.

    xo Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had canned figs. I bet they are delicious. It is a good feeling to know that you are preserving things that grow at home. The basket is great and I love the bottles and light. And the little penguins are adorable! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try putting some in a grilled cheese sandwich! Seriously. You will never want to eat a plain grilled cheese again!

    ReplyDelete