Saturday, June 29, 2013

A Trip to the Library and Some Treasures

No junking for me this weekend. Not that I didn't want to go out and scour the town for junk but unfortunately the one sale I was dying to go to was located in Tennessee. A little far to travel for me. It was an estate sale of "Vintage Medical Items" and the pictures on Estatesales.net were to die for. If you live in that area and went, please let me know what fabulousness I missed out on. So instead I decided to go see my brother at the library this morning and do a little research on Annie and Walter Poole. If you didn't see my post on the box of old letters and cards that I found last weekend at an estate sale, you can read about it here. The letters and cards belonged to the Poole's and I wanted to see who they were and if there was any family left here in town that might want these items back (I know I would). My trip to the library was very fruitful and I found out quite a bit about Annie and Walt this morning and even found some photographs of them. 

My Brother working the Reference Desk


 Here is the story on Walt:

Walter Scott Poole

Born: December 1881 in Wrens Ga (Jefferson County)
Married Annie Markwalter in 1924
No chidren
Worked for Standard Oil Company
Died November 30th 1944 
His Sister Carrie lived with Annie and Walt

Walter loved to hunt, I read quite a few letters from a niece that he had in Florida that talked about his love of hunting. He even sent a dog named "Pal' down to them (Florette and her Husband Emory). Don't you just love that name - Florette. 



Annie & Walter Poole

Here is the story on Annie:

Born in 1890
Married Walter Scott Poole in 1924
No Children
Never remarried after Walter's Death
Died in 1974

She also had a close relationship with her niece, I think maybe because they had no children of their own that she and Walter doted on Florette.


Since the Poole's had no children, I am not sure that I will be able to locate anyone here in town that may be related. I did find both of the photo's above on Ancestry.Com and I sent an E-mail to the person that posted them so hopefully I will hear something and be able to get some of these lovely items back to the family.

Once I was finished with my research, I visited with my brother for a few minutes. I picked up some old banjo strings for him (he's a musician) at an estate sale a couple of weeks ago and had been holding onto them until I could get by to see him, so I took them with me so I could drop them off while I was there. He had a few treasures for me too! He had some old labels and a few old books he had been holding for me! Joy! Joy! Even though I didn't go junking I still came home with some treasures.















More Pic's on our Facebook!
Hoping you are having a wonderful weekend!




1 comment:

  1. Wow how cool that you were able to find so much out about both of them..........

    ReplyDelete