Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A completely Thrifted Room






What I love about shopping at estate sales, yard sales, church sales, and thrift stores is finding unique items to decorate my home. I have several rooms in my home that are entirely decorated with thirfted items, furniture included. I don't really plan how it's all going to come together but somehow it just does. When I moved  in my home 3 years ago I suddenly had a breakfast room (did not have one of these in my old home) to furnish and decorate. I had to find a table and chairs but didn't want to invest a lot of money on something new, so I went on the hunt. I found a vintage metal patio table that was paired with four vintage folding chairs (painted white). Somehow I knew this would work for me and the price was right (under $100). Next I needed some bar stools, I didn't like any of the new ones out there and happened upon an industrial drafting stool in Charlotte NC, loved it and brought it home hoping to find two more somewhere out there. Over the course of the next 3 months or so I did come across two more industrial stools (flea market) both of a different style but bought them hoping it would all look good together. I was very pleased with the result. Total cost of all 3 under $100. If you look these up on the internet they are quite expensive, so I was even more pleased. Other items in my breakfast room include a screen printed sign my father had in his shop (free). I framed some old love letters that my father had written ( I don't think they were to my mother either). Add in a rusty sign, vintage linens, a vintage rusty flower cart (that I repainted red), and other thrifted items and you have a totally thrifted room. I would estimate that I spent less than $500 on the whole shebang!

2 comments:

  1. I think it's a lovely room, Verna. I especially love the red cart since red is my favorite color and also the color of the Georgia Bulldogs! I'll have to get you to Athens to help me decorate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tina, you know I would be happy to help you with anything you need. I have been to the Flea Market in Athens and a couple of antique stores - good junking in your area!

    ReplyDelete